I’ve not posted here for a while, for a few reasons. Firstly, I’ve been extremely busy over the holiday period and I wanted to make it all about Sausage, so my days have been spent baking, making homemade decorations and playing with the MOUNTAIN of toys she received over christmas.
Secondly, I felt a bit tongue-tied. I had some ideas of what I would like to write about, but on several occasions, sat at my laptop and couldn’t quite get my fingers to make the words.
The final reason was that I went into a bit of a depression in the days leading up to christmas. It doesn’t help that, whilst I absolutely LOVE christmas songs, some of them are a little bleak (I’m talking to you John Lennon, Band Aid, The Pogues etc.) Husband and I were walking along in the snow, complaining about how it had disrupted things, and it just occurred to me that there are people living on the streets in this dire weather, and we’re complaining about our Amazon delivery being a little late. And once I’d started thinking about it, I couldn’t stop, the floodgates had opened. The only way husband could make me feel better was to promise to make a donation to Centre Point, which made me feel a little less impotent.
When I was younger, I did various charity work and I really enjoyed doing it. It’s fantastic when people donate money, but there are so few people willing to give their time. These days, time is something I have a lot less of. Between being a full-time mum to a two and half-year old, trying to complete a degree as quickly as I possibly can, plus all of those other things one has to do on a daily basis to maintain a house and a marriage, it’s not as easy. And I wish I could do more, but I can only stretch myself so thin.
So, I wanted to make a list of things that I want to achieve this year, kind of like a pre-New Year resolution list, but since I don’t believe in New Year resolutions, we’ll call it my ‘Aiming for in 2011′ list.
- First, and most importantly of all, I need to get in shape. I need to exercise, eat better, start taking my tablets properly and get myself out of this state of denial that I’m in. I need to start remembering that I am a diabetic and start behaving as such, otherwise I will lose a foot, or go blind, or DIE, way before my time, and therefore limit the time that I have with Sausage. Any behaviour to the contrary is selfish and stupid.
- Redouble my efforts with my studies and gain at least 120 points by this time next year, thus making up for my flakey attitude last year. Remember that I want my degree before I’m 30.
- Do more things with Sausage. Make sure she and I get out of the house more and get involved in some physical activity. Don’t let her become a victim of my indolence.
- Try and find the time for some charity fundraising. Potentially something like a fun run, which will force me to get fitter in preparation (well, they do say that there’s no such thing as a selfless good deed).
- Try to spend more quality time with Husband (quality time being something other than waiting for Sausage to go to bed and then falling asleep next to him whilst attempting to watch a film).
- See my family more.
- Be a better friend and stick to arrangements. Most importantly, make the effort to meet those two beautiful little men that I have yet to introduce myself to.
That’s all I can think of for now. I’m sure I’ll hit ‘publish’ and realise I left a load off, but I think my days are going to need to be 70% longer with the ones I’ve already written.
Also, if any of my readers know of any worthy causes or charities I could get involved with, let me know, I’m always open to suggestions and I like to help charities who may not necessarily get all the help they need through not being one of the better known causes.
Overall, I’m hoping that 2011 will be a more productive year, a more positive year, and the year that I can look at my reflection and not flinch at what I see. That’s not too much to ask, is it?
What are you hoping for in 2011?